Kathleen R. Brennan is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and a graduate of The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. She has experience working in educational, residential and private practice settings with adolescent, young adult and adult clients presenting with a wide range of issues, strengths and goals. Her specialties include: chronic stress, trauma, grief and loss.
Kathleen completed more extensive clinical training at Womencare Counseling Center in Evanston; The Natalie Haimowitz Postgraduate Fellowship Program, which emphasizes a relational treatment model and which she employs in her current practice. This relational frame, which underlies her approach to psychotherapy, holds that the path to healing is primarily through the relationship between client and therapist. Within this frame, clients are given the space and attention needed to examine how they view themselves and relate to others, build on their strengths and change constricting and unhealthy patterns of behavior.
Kathleen respects and honors the uniqueness of each individual. Her goal is to meet each of her clients where they are in life, working to promote their personal growth, encourage positive life changes, and help each to develop a sense of empowerment. Her clinical model respects each person’s experience and context, both past and present. She provides a supportive, safe environment where clients can comfortably and with confidence speak of their life experiences, gain a deeper understanding of and appreciation for who they are, while gaining the tools to meet and walk through life challenges.
Grief and Loss
Unresolved Childhood Trauma
Past or Recent Trauma
Anxiety and Depression
Education and Training:
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- EMDR Trained through the EMDR Institute
- Ohio Wesleyan University, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (1999)
- Master's of Arts, Forensic Psychology, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (2005)
- Practicum, Depke Juvenile Detention Center, Lake County (2004-2005)
- The Natalie Haimowitz Postgraduate Fellowship Program, Postgraduate Therapist, Womencare Counseling Center (2009-2011)
Talks and Presentations:
- Creator and host of the On The Blue Couch Podcast (2014-present)
- Guest on The Broken Brain Podcast: Vicarious Trauma (2016)
- Forensic Psychology and Trauma (2014)
- Working with Children and Adolescents Who Have Experienced Trauma (2011-present)
- NMT: Implementation into Milieu Programming (2014)
- The Ingredients of a Plan B: Collaborative Problem Solving (2012-2014)
- Shall We Dance? Embracing and Managing Countertransference Within The Milieu (AACRC, 2013)